Plantago lanceolata (Ribwort Plantain) fermentation

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Plantago lanceolata (Ribwort Plantain) fermentation

Postby taborda on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:49 pm

Hi dear fermenters,

i'm always improvising with vegetable ferments (i'm addicted to kimchy with all kind of vegetables)...

lately i realized a lot of plantain were growing in my front garden, today i decided to pick them up... this species of plantain is actually not the best edible because it's high fibrous (http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/ancie ... 20Plantain)

i tried to cook with them this lunch, they tasted great, but i almost broke my blender trying to soften the fibers (although after long cooking it was a very tasty [but a bit cheewy] kind of "spinach cream" taste)...

still have a bunch and looked for experiences on fermenting wild plants, particularly plantain... didn't find it, but i'm going to start it and will try to post results :)
taborda

Re: Plantago lanceolata (Ribwort Plantain) fermentation

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:39 pm

Cool! Keep us posted!
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby mr drinky on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:54 pm

That sounds very interesting, and I am quite sure it never would have occurred to me. Good luck. I'm especially interested in how the texture comes out.

k.
mr drinky

Postby JellyBean on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:41 am

My very first ferment ever was plantago major, chickweed and dandelion. It was a disaster :) Slime everywhere! Eventually I hope to become more experienced with fermenting and will attempt wild edibles again---because my all time favorite thing to do is forage!!

Good luck! I am looking forward to reading about your results!!
JellyBean

Postby taborda on Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Some updates :)

it's not a complete disaster, but it has a very strong taste (it's a wild plant with an already special taste) kind of metalic-vinagary...

i guess i over used salt (i think i did it by guess no weighing involved)... but the very dark green brine i used for cooking and gave a distinguish taste...

i guess the fibers are a bit gone too, but definitely not muchy yet...

it's getting a lot of scum (white foam), i cleaned it now and added a bit of water to try to dilute the salt.. i guess i will leave it on the ferments counter for a while, give it a try again on some days and compost it if it get's scum/moldy
taborda

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:21 am

I wonder if gundruk would be an appropriate treatment for this plant.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Vegetable Ferments