What Brand of Salt Do You Use?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

What Brand of Salt Do You Use?

Postby mr drinky on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:28 am

Just wondering what brands of salt people use to ferment their veggies. My first batch, I just used Diamond Crystal Kosher as it was on hand, but I read in a fermenting book about Redmond Sea Salt, so I am going to try that.

k.
mr drinky

Re: What Brand of Salt Do You Use?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:47 am

Morton Canning and Pickling Salt is what I generally use.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-home ... ling-salt/
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby mr drinky on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:44 pm

I kind of thought most were using that salt.

I went with the Shockey recommendation in their book Fermented Vegetables. They gave a few recommendations, but the Redmond Real Salt is what they use in their business and it was reasonably priced. They say that the salt does affect the taste (in a positive way -- slightly sweeter) and it also has 60 trace nutrients that add to the health benefits of ferments. I'm not doing ferments for the health reasons exclusively, but if it is effortless to add, then why not?

Here is a video from Redmond about their product. I thought it was interesting.

k.

http://www.realsalt.com/sea-salt/a-video-introduction-to-real-salt/
mr drinky

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:30 pm

Neat. I've heard of but not used Real Salt. But to be fair, it is almost eight times the price. I happen to be in a position where that doesn't much matter to me, but I can imagine that for some people that's a big deal.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby mr drinky on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:36 am

That's a good point, plus Morton is easier to get, and if you buy Morton online: 9x (4 lb boxes) for $14.22, that is a crazy price.

I'll be interested to see if there is a big taste difference as I will probably try them both out. My gut feeling (no pun intended) is that I won't notice a difference at this point, as I am new to this whole thing.

But obviously one successful fermenting business did choose this as their main salt despite the price, so it has piqued my interest.

k.
mr drinky

Postby khoomeizhi on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:18 am

i mostly use the bulk refined sea salt from the local food co-op. cheap.

i haven't used the real salt for fermentation but have used it for a few things - something to note: the stuff is very unrefined. to the point where after cooking a big pot of grain with it, there's a fair amount of fine sand at the bottom. gritty. maybe you need to throw a few handfuls in to get to that level, but it's mostly turned me off that salt. maybe bacteria can break those little rocks down more than boiling? dunno.
khoomeizhi

Postby mr drinky on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:44 am

Interesting about the grit. I'll have to pay special attention to that. Grit in any type of food is a real bummer.

k.
mr drinky

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:48 am

Uh oh! I just bought a big bag of it. I'll have to see how it works out for us. :-)
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby mr drinky on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:01 pm

I just used some of the Redmond Real salt for some brine (spicy daikon radish pickles) and yep, it is gritty. I'm glad the previous poster mentioned it though, so I strained it through a coffee filter first before adding it. It should be fine, but it begs the question why someone would recommend this. It isn't even suitable for applying directly to food. Granted, It isn't that hard of a workaround to make it usable and maybe the taste will be better, but I still had a couple WTF moments when preparing my ferment.

Live and learn.

k.
mr drinky

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:16 am

I confirm that it's gritty. I just eat the grit -- I'm like a chicken. But I'd prefer that it weren't like that.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Next

Return to Vegetable Ferments