Kefir-types of milk, raw, homogenised, pasteurised?

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Kefir-types of milk, raw, homogenised, pasteurised?

Postby AlexandraPchb on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:09 am

I know Christopher doesn't do kefir, but does someone know about the type of milk and the reactions of the cultures?
I like to use organic milk for my kefir, but by mistake took the organic /homogenised milk last time, to which they change the fat molecules - and I noticed the kefir doesn't separate as much (which doesn't seem right, I do not like using homogenised milk, it's just not natural!). I wonder how the bacteria deal with homogenised milk, does it bother them? (since they work with the lactose, perhaps not)

Has someone made kefir with raw milk?
I read so often that if you use raw milk for yogurt, the cultures die after a few batches - so why isn't it the same with Kefir?
I would like to try as raw milk seems better than pasteurised, if drinking milk, but we have to bribe the neighbour's farm to get them to agree to sell us some, even though they haven't a license ;-) finding raw milk in the UK is a bit of a challenge.

Perhaps some of those points have been answered already, sorry to bother you again with it if it is the case! THanks!
AlexandraPchb

Re: Kefir-types of milk, raw, homogenised, pasteurised?

Postby alisoncc on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Been making Kefir now for about six weeks - very successfully I might add. I is a happy little bunny. Our Govt (Oz) is a little bit uppity about the sale of raw milk. One person gets sick, and it is denied to everyone, often known as a "Nanny" state, we need to be protected from ourselves. All our milk is pasteurised.

I started off with two bottles fermenting - one goats milk and the other A2. A2 apparently has different proteins. It is significantly more expensive that normal milk, and comes both pasteurised and homogenised. But wow does it produce rich and tasty Kefir.

Don't bother with the goats milk now as it always came out quite watery, but the A2 is magic. Don't know if it's addictive, but suspect I can't survive without my daily Kefir fix now. I believe it contains a small amount of alcohol. If I continue like this might have to go to AA. :lol:
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)
alisoncc

Re: Kefir-types of milk, raw, homogenised, pasteurised?

Postby 2gentlehands on Thu May 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Love it, a 1970's computer on Dune :lol:

I've tried all types of Cows milk, skim to full, Homogenized and not, UP(bad) to regular. Raw is illegal except for pets where I live (and they threatened to dye it gray believe it or not) but the next state it's ok. will try some one day if I get past the milk police at the border.

My experience, though little, w/ non-homogenized/ pasteurized was similar to other types, tasty, creamy, but didn't help my whey separation issue. I'm with you - Gimme unprocessed.
2gentlehands

Return to Dairy Ferments